Monday, April 20, 2015

Getting off the Sugar High



Around August of last year, my vision started to blur on a regular basis, and I had started becoming more thirsty and more hungry. At first, I thought it was just me reacting to the humidity of the weather at the time (a protracted summer, with the incoming rainy season mixing it up with each other).

However, it was advice from a few friends that got me to go to a doctor, and to no one's surprise, it turned out I was sick – with diabetes.

When my doctor first told me, I was in a state of shock. After all, everyone who isn't sick with a perennial condition never thinks that it could happen to them, until it does. So this, I guess, is the start of my narrative about becoming a more fit person.

In the beginning, I thought I would be able to live with no medicines for diabetes, once I became more fit. However, I've had to adjust my expectations, since being that fit will take time – I may not be able to reach that goal, but it sure as hell won't be for a lack of trying.


Photograph a few weeks before I was diagnosed with diabetes, by Carlo Casas
Part 1: The Angry Coach
What made my diabetes diagnosis more dismaying was that for the past year before I was diagnosed, a good friend of mine, Jay Lopez (who is based in the Athlete's Lab gym, for his Rx Strength fitness brand), had already offered to get me fit again.

Since I didn't want to spend the rest of my life bingeing (practically) on meds, or worse, insulin shots, I decided to take the other prescription for diabetes: getting fit, and having an active lifestyle.

It was then that I approached Coach Jay, and the rest, they say, is history. After a rather spirited sermon about how I should have taken his offer before I was diagnosed with diabetes, he started me on a fitness and exercise odyssey that I am still on right now.

And with that, I end the first part of this long narrative. Stay tuned for the next!

After a few months of training with Coach Jay. Apparently, there were also musical benefits to losing weight and becoming more fit - more on that in the future! Original photo by Fade Longboy, cropped for this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment