Friday, September 27, 2013

Article - Giving up the ghost: Surrendering the Green Card

Giving up the ghost: Surrendering the Green Card

My family has always had a thing for the green card. When I was younger, I remember my mother and father traveling back forth from the ‘States, to rack up residency time. They didn’t go there together, sometimes; some summers, my dad was gone, and in other times, my mom was. They would always come back with balikbayan boxes full of chocolates, clothes, toys, and, in my father’s case, even electric guitars and audio-video equipment.

There was talk around the table, of how, soon, we’d all be there. I remember being excited; it hadn’t sunk in at that time that I would have to leave everything behind.

Click here to read the full article at The Philippine Online Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment