Thursday, September 26, 2013

Article - Demonizing the middle class and the rich: “Mayaman kasi sila, eh”

Demonizing the middle class and the rich: “Mayaman kasi sila, eh”

Whenever I do ride a taxi, I make it a point to chat the taxi drivers up. I do so since it helps pass the time, and, in some cases, keeps them awake, or at least alert enough to avoid possible accidents. The conversations can sometimes be light and amusing, but at other times can also make me wish I hadn’t even started the conversation.

However, I’ve had a few observations stick to my mind when talking with them, and one of the more interesting – and disturbing – points is that, well, when someone does good, or is able to get away with murder (figuratively or literally), then that person is “may pera kasi” (“has money to use”). Now bear with me, as some people may say that it’s just a saying. However, I’ve had quite a few more experiences where people say practically the exact same thing: from street children in Manila, to fellow workmates when I was working in a mall, it all came down to “mayaman sila” or “may pera sila.”

The way it was said was either one where there was a certain sort of fatalism, while another way would be with a sneer and a malicious smile. And it made me wonder: Why is it so easy to demonize people who are in a higher income bracket here in the Philippines?

Read the full article at the Philippine Online Chronicles!

No comments:

Post a Comment