Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Article - Being the unexpected: A personal journey about stereotyping

Being the unexpected: A personal journey about stereotyping

When I first submitted my interest for this article idea, I was thinking, hey, this should be easy. It was a simple thing, for me, to think about how people can avoid being stereotyped. I thought all I had to do was think of why stereotyping happens, and how one avoids it.

I realized, later on, that it wouldn’t ring true if there were no personal experiences involved – and therein lay the rub. Many people do find that talking about how they’ve been stereotyped is either an extremely sensitive matter, or one that is prone to a lot of emotional baggage. It’s a hard topic, because as much as people want to just gloss over it, be mater-of-fact about it, or ignore it, stereotyping is controversial at best. Therefore, I decided that perhaps I should start with my own experiences at being stereotyped, and then link it with the process of stereotyping, and how to get away from it.

Read more at the Philippine Online Chronicle

No comments:

Post a Comment