Monday, December 16, 2013

Article: Remembering George Harrison: The quiet Beatle that could

Remembering George Harrison: The quiet Beatle that could

My family had always been known as a very musical one. It was a running joke that our house had as many radios as it did rooms. Each room had its own era: My mom and dad were the ‘50s and ‘60s, I was the ’70s, ‘80s, and ‘90s, my older sister was 80s but more of pop while I was for new wave and rock, and my younger sister would be the one to listen to metal, and, later on, hip-hop. Even my grandmother got in on it, as you could hear her listening to ‘20s, ‘30s and ‘40s music.
Most of my family also knew how to play musical instruments – my grandfather could play the piano, My mom was a drummer, my dad a guitarist and singer, my older sister a singer, I was a bass guitarist, and my younger sister is a singer, guitarist, and songwriter.

And yet, when the Sundays came in and all of us were in the house, it never failed: at least some of the songs would be from the Beatles. That’s what the Beatles meant to our family, it was an agreed-upon common ground for everyone’s preferences. Of course, my dad would not be able to understand the later Beatles albums, but we all loved the early ones, the ones indelibly marked by their mop-top hair and Pierre Cardin suits.

It was a given that much of our time was talking about John Lennon and Paul McCartney, but then, that’s because they had penned the most number of songs. However, my dad, the guitarist, always had a soft spot for the Quiet Beatle, George Harrison.

Click here to read more at the Philippine Online Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment