Thursday, August 12, 2010

Children of Darkness

The taxi I rode in had a broken front door lock. I was seated in the back, ready to retire to my apartment for the day.

Near the Pioneer/Guadalupe area, a street kid opens the front door. His partner was ready at the other door, holding what I clearly saw to be an icepick.

I told the driver not to get out. I managed to close the front passenger door from my end. Luckily, Driver's door was locked, same with the passenger left rear door. I had locked my door also.

The icepick-carrying boy shot me a look that clearly communicated his hatred of anyone who had more than he did, his hatred for being given the sort of life he had. He snarled like an animal and ran into the oncoming traffic, to disappear into the night.

There can be no mercy for such a lost soul.

If you think I'm being mean, think of it this way: No matter how hard life gets, there is always a choice. and that look the child gave me was not of one who had no choice - it was of one who embraced the darkness freely.

And it isn't just happening there. I have a friend who was almost seriously injured by a knife stabbing last week...in the Katipunan area, as he was going home. The ones who ambushed him were the street children there, the very same ones who hang around the McDonald's and all the nice restaurants. They turned on people who would have helped them had they asked for it, people who would never have asked for anything back.

We can blame it on the erosion of social values, on the dismal economy or even on the inherent flaws of the capitalist system. But all that pales in comparison to that look the boy gave me.

It was feral. It wasn't just about survival, but also about revenge, vengeance, whatever you would call it. To hurt back for being hurt, but with such a pleasure to it that there is no room left for sympathy.

Now, I am home. Normally, since I live in a gated apartment community, all of us who live here open our doors to let the night air come in. Tonight, my door is locked. It's not because I am scared, but because the truth is, there are more animals out there in the streets now, and it pays to be cautious.


I used to believe in the seduction of darkness, of the innocent being trapped into a life of evil. Now I know: for some there is no trap, only the loving comfort of finally leaving the hardships of being human, and becoming well and truly evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment